MONDAY, JULY 29 - FRIDAY, AUGUST 2 (10:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.)
Looking for a unique summer learning experience for your 6-12 year old? Join primary teacher-librarian Rebecca Saha in the west-end Toronto workroom for this fun, environmental, toy-based day camp in the Kingsway.
Kids will become familiar with my home-based workspace and learn how Tiny Toy Co. is organizing unwanted toy debris into Loose Parts Learning activities.
We'll play brain-building games using loose toy parts, learn about the science of toy waste & upcycling, as well as create 4 upcycled projects to take away from our week together:
- a glass plant terrarium using 100% upcycled materials and tiny toys
- upcycled bottle cap magnets featuring tiny toys and rare earth magnets
- iPhone/iPad digital photography shoots using tiny toys to create our own "I Spy" images and macro photography pics
- board game design using 100% upcycled game parts, inventing our own rules and game elements. You'll take your own game home in a box that you design!
This mixed-age day camp for inquisitive, creative kids aged 6-12 is a special combination of environmental learning, volunteerism, and creative play-based learning. The small group environment (12 kids max.) makes this an ideal summer learning and fun experience for your primary grade kids! Come with a friend or sibling to double the fun, or come solo and make new friends in this multi-age group setting.
Participants should bring:
- a litterless lunch (a.m./p.m. snacks and water will be provided)
- a hat for outdoor play breaks and outdoor photography
- indoor shoes
- information about any food or environmental allergies. Please note that while this is not a nut-free space, tree nut and peanut-free policies will be strictly enforced during camp week. This is a scent-free space.
- their curiosity and willingness to try new things!
Is your child anxious about separation or new environments? Parents are more than welcome to stay, pop in and out, and support your child in any way needed. A cell phone number will be provided should you want to check in with me, or your child, during the day.
About Me: I am a working TDSB teacher-librarian in a Toronto primary school, with 20 years classroom teaching experience in kindergarten through grade five. The Tiny Toy Co. space is in the (cool!) basement of my home, and we will also make use of the main level and backyard spaces for our adventures. If you would like to meet me or see the space prior to signing up, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll set up a meet & greet for you and your child. Address provided on request by email.
See you soon!
NOTE: Should enrolment fall below 6 participants, the camp may need to be postponed. You can help reach the 6-12 participant goal by sharing this listing with interested friends from local school communities and neighbourhoods!